Rocker’s illness prompts third round of postponements this year, after concerts in March and August were affected.
Bruce Springsteen has postponed all September concerts as the singer is treated for peptic ulcer.
A statement on his Instagram account said “the decision of his medical advisers is that he should postpone the remainder of his September shows” due to the stomach ailment.
It affects eight concerts across the eastern US, beginning Thursday 7 September in Syracuse, New York.
It’s the third time Springsteen has had to postpone concerts due to illness this year, following three affected shows in March and two in August in Philadelphia. Springsteen and his wife, Patti Scialfa also tested positive for Covid-19 in April.
Announcing the latest postponements, Springsteen said he was “heartbroken … First, apologies to our fabulous Philly fans who we missed a few weeks ago. We’ll be back to pick these shows up and then some. Thank you for your understanding and support. We’ve been having a blast at our US shows and we’re looking forward to more great times. We’ll be back soon.”
Springsteen is currently in a world tour that began in February, following the release of his latest album Only the Strong Survive in November 2022, which features covers of R&B and soul songs. He performed three nights in his native New Jersey earlier this month.
Reviewing the opening night of his UK run in Edinburgh, the Guardian’s Alexis Petridis said Springsteen and the E Street Band “give off the air of people who are there because they desperately want to be there, a bar band that can’t quite believe their luck to be playing a stadium, despite the fact that they’ve been playing stadiums since the early 80s”.